Friday, January 13, 2012

Humanism vs. Atheism

I'm reading Dawkins, and it's making me think, and it's making me laugh as he ridicules the faithful. But while I recognize that it's easy for someone as brilliant as Dawkins to make a hash out of the "proofs" that people of faith have provided for the existence of God, I don't fully agree with him. At least not so far (I'm  in chapter 3 at present.)

I think it's because he spends too much time on proving the non-existence of God. He's proselytizing for the unfaithful. And the fact is, I don't care. I don't care that much about the existence of God, and I certainly don't care whether you believe. I care what you DO.

The Society for Humanistic Judaism has just come out against the Defense of Marriage Act. They've also recently come out in favor of a lot of good stuff. That's the kind of thing I like, that makes me want to join the movement. That's what Humanism is about. It isn't about whether or not you believe in God. It's about  whether you think humans can make a difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment